Sunday, May 5, 2013

Slowly Fading...

I think we live in pretty scary times. Honestly- they are confusing and difficult and...yeah. scary. It seems like there is an attack on my generation. If we really stepped back and looked at ourselves, where we are at- I think we would be shocked. The things we do that have become "the norm" today... I think a few years ago we would've been horrified by. The things we used to label "the things we would never do"...are now merely just the normal. And I am not speaking necessarily about others- I'm speaking of myself. I am no longer surprised about our/my compromised position. It's just what's expected.
I think, for myself anyways- there was a time where I was so concerned about outward holiness/righteousness, I was so concerned about upholding "the standard", that I have over-corrected myself in reacting to that. But at least there was safety in all those rules. Or at least, it felt safe. ;)
I was listening to Casting Crowns Slow Fade this morning. It's so true. One "little" thing at a time- look at where we are at. And it scares me, not only for myself- but because, whether I like it or not- my actions have a huge impact on others. One line of the song says," be careful little feet where you go because it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow." That is a scary thought.
We are so "in-between". We are neither fully in the world or fully out of it. And no wonder we are so miserable! We are a compromised people.
Another song I heard said this, "in your presence God, I'm completely satisfied."
That was pretty convicting to me. Because it seems like I'm always saying I will be satisfied when this or that thing happens. If I have God- and nothing else. Will I be satisfied?
Don't get me wrong- I am not advocating we start coming up with a bunch of rules to regulate ourselves. No. There is no satisfaction in that. But my question is, is Jesus enough? Or is He not? I think most of us are too afraid to let all these things go so that we can find out. I know I am.
I do not want to pursue holiness or righteousness as the goal. I want to pursue Jesus and as I am learning Him- I want to see Himself worked out in me. As He becomes more and more- all those other things will become less and less.

No comments:

Post a Comment