Tuesday, January 7, 2014

It is probably pretty evident from my lack of ever blogging anything that I've either been very busy or that there's just not much to write about... well, both are true. I suddenly got really sick last night and now that I'm just laying in bed.. I thought I may as well write something. ;)  Things have been going pretty well here.  I feel like we're settling into life here, things have become fairly routine and it doesn't seem so strange being here.  Finally!  Some normalcy! ;)  It's strange, sometimes when I am outside I will see people staring and it kind of confuses me and I wonder why they're staring, then I remember, "Oh yeah!  I'm white!"  It just doesn't seem that unusual to me anymore.  The weird thing about all that though, is that it doesn't feel like we are on some grand "missions trip", it feels like we are just living here.  We have our bible study on Tuesday nights and the men have a bible study 2-3 nights a week.  Us girls have started meeting together once a week for a bible study.  We visit with the neighbors a lot.  We study Bangla a lot.  We clean, and cook and shop... and, I dunno, it's just living. Things here are a lot different for women than for men.  We definitely are a lot more limited in things we can do.  But, the guys have been going out and handing out tracts/sharing lately.  And, I'll just be honest- I am not too disappointed that we can't do that. haha... handing out tracts/street ministry had never been my favorite.  I don't know, I think sometimes we get pictures in our heads about what life is like on the mission field.. and we forget that you have to live there too.  We forget all the daily things in life like eating or having clean clothes.. because those aren't as important or as exciting as the other stuff.  And, also, not really being able to speak in Bangla is extremely limiting. I never could have imagined how challenging/intimidating it is to try and communicate with people when you only understand a little bit!  It's very uncomfortable and I feel so bad that I can't understand! And, honestly, it's just a lot of work.  Sometimes I feel like I am not doing anything great by being here, and it all seems really pointless... but, when I came I felt the Lord was telling me to come to help my family- to support them as they are starting out.  So, I guess, it's not a big thing- I don't have any long term visions as far as Bangladesh goes, but I am here, and *hopefully* :/... I am being faithful in the small things.  And, I definitely feel like it id right that I am here for now.  That being said- I have no idea what the next step from here is.  I guess that's usually the case. I originally had a year in mind when I came, and that actually may be how it works out because of our visas.  And also, the political situation here is very bad.  So much so that I've heard the country may be on the brink of civil war.  Lots of rioting and violence.  Even last night I could hear men chanting and screaming from some rioting in the streets... it's really crazy and kinda scary. Anyways.. that's pretty much it from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment