Saturday, March 29, 2014

We just got home this afternoon from a Christian Youth Camp we were invited to.  Our friend invited us and we felt like we should go- he was so excited about it and all...  but I was really regretting that I said I would go when I realized it was meetings ALL day and they were ALL in Bangla. :-/  
We had a very long / exhausting / hot trip out there. It's in a village and it's actually really beautiful out there. It's really nice getting out of the city every now and then.
It was pretty uncomfortable in about every way. New place, new people-that's always awkward. But add in language barriers, cultural differences and age differences and it's REALLY awkward.   
It definitely wasn't fun- but we were trying to just.. out ourselves out there I guess?
I was actually really discouraged by a comment made about us. Apparently a guy made a comment about how we brought water.  We weren't sure what the water would be like and we've only every drank bottled water since being here except when we've been in people's houses and they offer us water (which usually tastes/smells like pond water).  Anyways- we brought water with us because we didn't want to get sick and the guy thought that maybe we weren't actually missionaries because we should have enough faith to drink the water.  I was SO frustrated!  It probably wasn't that big a deal- but it was the sort of the thing that just finally breaks you.  I guess there was some expectation that the Bengali Christians would really appreciate the sacrifice we made to come here... and instead they judge as being unfaithful because we drank bottled water?  I was SO disappointed.  Considering that we sold everything we had, got on a plane with no return ticket, left our home, our jobs, our family, our friends, left everything that was comfortable and familiar to us and came here.  Considering we gave up things and hobbies and interests and comforts to come here... considering the expense it cost to come, not just on our part but for everyone that has supported us.  Considering the constant pressure of being watched, of trying not to offend, of trying to dress like them, talk like them, eat like them...  of feeling like a freak show everywhere you go, feeling uncomfortable, out of place and alone. Never being able to walk out your door without being asked for something or called a name or surrounded or yelled at or having your picture taken...  Of enduring heat and sickness and language barriers and bugs and the dirtiness...  I just cried.  I think I scared some of the Bengali girls pretty good!  haha...  But really, now that I write it it sounds kind of lame, I never could have understood how difficult it can be from the States - but seriously, sometimes it is beyond overwhelming.  It all adds up- and it's a lot of pressure.  And they just cannot understand- I know that.  They think we are vastly wealthy, they don't know where we came from, they don't know what we left.  Most of them have never been outside their own country- they don't know what that's like.  But, to already be feeling all of that and have people say you have no faith because you drank bottled water?  And, I might add- we did drink their water too.  I guess I expected something from the Christians- some appreciation or understanding...  But, what I realized is the important thing is being faithful to what God has called us to- regardless of people's responses, comments, reactions, judgments or misunderstandings. After I had thought through and realized that the only important thing is being faithful to what God calls us to do, even if His people don't understand it...  I realized that not everyone feels that way.. of course.  In fact, later a girl asked me what my favorite season here was.  I told her I liked winter best because we were from a really cold place and it was difficult for us being so hot.  And Suranjit said, "I know it has been very difficult for you all.. coming in here.  You have had many problems..  but I really appreciate that you all came."  So- in the end- I felt better about it all. ;)  
We ended up having a much better time than expected.  Although it was REALLY boring sitting through hours and hours of classes you can't really understand... :-/  

1 comment:

  1. Caley,
    Thank you for blogging and sharing how you really feel. I have had such similar thoughts and experiences here in Bolivia. It can be so lonely being in a foreign culture. You are right about doing things as unto the Lord, but it doesn't stop it from being just plain hard sometimes! We are praying for you and are encouraged by what God is doing through your family. Be encouraged!
    Carla:)

    ReplyDelete