Sunday, September 7, 2014

I was encouraged last night talking to a good friend. We were discussing the same thing we've pretty much been discussing for, well, years!  What's my "calling"? What am I supposed to be doing with my life? What's the point? What's the goal? Where am I going? I think as we get older- okay, not really that old- but a little older..haha.. We become more and more concerned. "Shouldn't I at least have an idea about Gods will for my future by now? Shouldn't I be going somewhere?" 
Over the last few years I've been *doing* a lot of things. Surprisingly none of which has made me feel holier, closer to God or more directed as an individual. Which leads me to believe that maybe its not "the big things" that are actually the important things. In my focus on wanting to "do something with my life", maybe I have missed the importance of just the daily walk with Jesus. Daily seeking him, daily reading his word, daily bringing him the cares and worries and joys of the day, hearing his voice.. that is the big thing. Not being in the training program or being on the mission field.. those may be good things, and God certainly uses them in our lives. But I have learned firsthand that you can be doing those things and that does not necessarily mean you are walking with Jesus.
We tend to compartmentalism our lives- the spiritual things we do and the normal things. I think we miss so much in that way of thinking! So whether I am on the mission field or just doing the normal things like working and shopping and cleaning... it doesn't matter. What matters is my daily decision to be a disciple of Jesus and to follow Him. That is my calling. To follow Him. And, where he leads me and what he shows me to do? Well, that is up to him, in his hands and in his timing. And he is faithful to lead us and to show us his will if we truly desire it.
I read this this morning and found it applicable:
"Gods will for you is that when you get up in the morning you don't drift aimlessly through the day letting mere circumstance dictate what you do, but that you aim at something- that you focus on ascertain kind of purpose. Aimlessness is akin to lifelessness." - John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment