Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I can't seem to sleep tonight so I'm up in the early morning hours eating ice cream with chocolate syrup.  Ice cream is like- my comfort food here.  I've never appreciated ice cream so much.
I think if I ever decide to write a book about my life that it will be titled, "The Random Odd Happenings in the Life of Caley." No.  I haven't given this much thought- but really.  It would fit. ;)
You know, I've realized for a long time that my life is a bit unusual- but then there are moments when you realize- Nope. This is downright weird/crazy... possibly insane.  And I guess it's not the big moments that make it weird, but the everyday, random, unusual moments that do it.
 Almost every time I leave the house and go somewhere I come back saying, "Ok guys.  Guess what happened today."
One really weird thing is it doesn't matter where I'm at- here or in the States- the most random people walk up and talk to me about the weirdest things.  Today it happened while I was sitting on the root of a tree at the beach, drinking 7-up, eating masala flavored potato chips and attempting to study Bangla.  Which is pretty weird in itself.  I was a little distracted though, because there was a huge group of people watching a woman wearing really tight red stretchy pants with a really tight red camisole dancing on the beach.  Apparently they were filming something.  And let me just say- that out fit wasn't really working for her.  Poor dear. lol...  Anyways, as I'm sitting there this guys walks up, "Excuse me.  What country are you from?"  Typical, everyday question, "Oh, I'm from America."  I answer.  "Oh!  I'm from Finland!  From Helsinki."  The strangest thing was that he kinda looked Bengali...?  So he asks what I'm doing in Bangladesh, "I live here with my family- in Cox's Bazzar.  Just near here.  My name is Caley.  No, those are my brothers you saw swimming.  I am 22 years old..."  Just the same old questions.  Then he starts this confusing thing about,
 "I live in Dhaka. "
"Oh, I thought you were from Finland."
"I am from Finland, I'm just visiting."
"You are just visiting Cox's"
"Yes.
"Oh, why are you in Cox's?"
""For a holy day" (figured out later he actually said holiday)
"Oh, like for Ramadan or Eid?"
(confused look)
"I am filming a video....Uh- what are you studying?"
"Bangla- and it is SO hard."
"Yes- I know.  I heard my mom speaking it- it sounds very difficult."
"How long have you been in Bangladesh?
"2 months."
"What are you doing here?"
"Visiting my family."
"Your family is in Cox's"
"No- my family lives in Dhaka. I am a citizen."
"So you were born in Bangladesh?"
"No. Okay, let me explain...."
Let me just add- he had an accent that made it difficult for me to understand..lol.. I am not a complete moron. It was ridiculous!  Anyways- pretty odd.  Met a guy from Finland, named Sam (is that even Finnish??), had a confusing conversation, he had me guess his age and I got it right... (?)... aaaand he still gave me his number after all that just in case I want to hang out with him.. which I will never use. lol.  Sometimes being the only English speaking person around isn't all it's cracked up to be! ;)
Another weird happening- last night we had dogs barking all night, electricity going off, a screech owl schreeching it's little head off and a cat doing likewise.  At some point during the night- I think I may have been dreaming-  Hannah and I had this weird, long, mostly asleep,  conversation about a bat getting into our room.  We were both freaking out. The bats are like the size of an eagle here- and we have bars over our windows, so yeah, I don't know what the heck. At some point I realized the electricity was on and I woke up thinking, "I've got to do something while the powers on!  I need to take advantage of this time!  It's not gonna stay on forever!"  Then the imams go off singing at 5am this morning.  And then the workers start pounding sheet metal with hammers after that...lol
The entire family woke up plotting murderous revenge on all the animals.  Ideas involving sling shots, bow and arrows and pistols were all discussed...and rejected. haha  Mom walked around town today waking up all the dogs so they would sleep tonight, and, you know what-  we actually haven't heard them.  But, I'm sitting here listening to the screech owl..haha..
And there you have it.  These are some of today's odd happenings. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment