Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My morning coffee is quite tasty.. instant though it may be. ;)  I could really go for a quad-shot over ice... Guess that'll have to wait.
So, interesting experience of the day-  Yesterday I went with Isaac to the beach and then we went to the vegetable market.  On the way home this man, maybe in his late 30's?  Says hello aaand...he starts following us and asking us questions..  "Where are you from?  How long will you stay?  Who are you here with?  Is this your son?  Are you married?"  All the typical questions we get over here..  Didn't really think too much of it, especially with him being significantly older than me! Then he started telling me how he want to learn to speak English better and wondered of he could have my number so he could practice English and we could talk.  No- I told him- I don't have my own phone, I just use my dad's phone when I need one.  But, I told him, you could talk to my dad and that my dad wouldn't like me talking alone with men... "Oh! he says, I am only interested in learning English!"  ...  Then he starts going off on this big long speech where he basically said that he gets really  nervous about speaking in English with people but I dunno, he didn't feel nervous talking to me or something?  So he asked if I spend a lot of time at home and I told him I did.  At this point I'm back at my apartment building.  Then he says, "Maybe the next time you go to the beach... you could call me and we could go there together?"  I told him again my Dad would not like it.  "Oh, what can I do then?"  he says. So I told him again he could talk to my dad and that I would go upstairs to my apartment and get him.  "Oh!" he says, "Is he, uuuh... normal?  oooor... uhhhh?  you know? scary?? "  haha...  Anyways I went upstairs and told dad he was waiting so dad went down.. he saw the guy but apparently the man really was not interested in talking to him...haha... oh my gosh.
Our landlady pretty much watches everything we do and tells us what we shouldn't do and stuff... I don't know how she does it.  She's like the all seeing eye!  Apparently she saw me talking with the man and was very concerned about it so she asked Suranjit about it last night...haha.
Mom asked Suranjit if guys would do that to a Bengali girl, his eyes got big, "Oh ma-re!!"  he says, "NO!"  Apparently it's only because we're foreigners... I don't know.  It's annoying...  At least I know there's a few people who've got my back. ;)
Another thing that happened was Suranjit's sister Mone was sick the other day and had to go the hospital.  She speaks very little English, but we all really care for his family so he called and asked if we would come and pray for her.  The hospital.. oh my gosh,  it was terrible.  It's the government hospital so I guess it's particularly bad, but still. First of all, the place was filthy.  Really gross and dark and dirty.  The other thing was the excessive heat.  I have never been in a place that hot.  It was so bad.  His sister was laying on the floor because it was so crowded that there were no more beds in there.. Sometimes there were a couple people on one bed. There were basins sitting around with I don't know what in them.. and the floor was filthy.  It was so bad.  When it comes to sick people- I am the worst.  I have no idea what to say or how to help so I just awkwardly stand there.  Oh. Sometimes I hate me.
Anyways, that's some of the latest random happenings around here... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment