Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I have been a lucky girl lately.  All the coffee and chocolate and candy and cheese....  I think we all may be a little panicked about when it runs out already.  We're definitely rationing it. ;) Having these incredible, little things from home is so nice.  It's really refreshing.
Things have been rather quiet lately- pretty boring actually.  And I have been busy doing a lot of thinking.
There are days when living here seems truly pointless, and I'm really trying to understand the purpose in me being here.  I find myself switching in to "survival mode"- rather than really thriving here.  Most of the time I struggle with even being content to live here.  I don't want to live counting down the days until I can leave.  I want to live with purpose here- and so I'm asking God what that purpose is.
It seems like, at this point, reality is really settling in for all of us.  And we're all trying to work out being happy living here.  And, believe me- for many different reasons, that's a huge challenge!  Maybe being happy is not the important thing- but being content with where God has brought us and finding joy in Him, rather than our circumstances.  I find it more challenging to do that now than any other time in my life. It is a daily battle and there is no rest.
I suppose I could go into all the details of what makes it challenging- but I guess my endless complaining is pretty pointless and tiresome. :-/
We are now doing Bangla classes again, and it's nice to have something to fill our time during the day.  I was worried it would be difficult picking it back up after not having studied for a month, but it seems to be coming back fairly quickly.
The thing I am most thankful here are the hotels where you can go buy some coffee or a hamburger (!).  And, for the rooftop of the Sea Gull Hotel where you are actually truly alone.  It's the only place in this country that I've ever been where I was alone!  Those places, and all the things from home people sent,  keep me from going crazy...!

No comments:

Post a Comment