Saturday, October 12, 2013

So..Suranjit invited us to come see a Hindu festival tonight- I don't really know what I was expecting, but, wow- let me just say.  It was shocking.  I guess I had bright colors and music- maybe dancing. Not so much!  We walked down to the festival.  It was neat- lots of people and vendors.  It was night time and they had lights strung up everywhere.  There were so many people- it was hard to get through the crowd.  Everyone was wearing really bright and beautiful clothes.  So Suranjit leads us through the crowd to this- I don't know how to describe it- like a structure they had made that looked like a cave.  On the inside they had hung birds and bats and snakes on the walls to make it look even more cave-like.  We could hear loud, pounding drums- people cramming their way through.  We walked through a dark tunnel into an opening.  Immediately it was extremely hot and there were so  many people crammed in there.  The lights were flashing and I was worried I was going to trip or run into someone.  Then sometimes the lights would stop and it would get extremely dark.  The music was so loud. The air was filled with smoke from the incense they were burning. Up front they had 4-5 idols some looked like slaughtered animals, some like men- all deformed and weird.  Krishna was there with the 6 arms.  Up front people were bowing and crying and pounding these drums.  I have read about things like that- but it is nothing to read about compared to actually seeing it.  The music was so eerie- wailing and evil sounding laughing.  Poor Isaac was so sacred.  It honestly scared me!  I have never seen anything that was so blatantly demonic. So dark.  It was so uncomfortable being there- but it was such a good reality check.  Watching those people worshiping a creepy statue that they made themselves- looking to it for some sort of salvation.  A false hope.  Watching them worship in a dark cave- I couldn't help but see the parallel of the darkness they are really in. The Hindus are so superstitious.   Oh my gosh. I don't think you can know until you've seen it.  It was so evil.  We went to another one similar to it.  One guy leaned over and screamed in my ear, "HAIL KRISHNA!"  It was just.. SO bizarre!  And really, really sad.  Seeing that, it's hard to believe anybody could really believe it.
It was amazing to see the stark contrast between the grace and truth and light of Jesus and the darkness of Hinduism...  One guy spoke English well enough that dad was able to share the gospel with him- I was really glad for that.
 And that has been the adventure for the day! :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment