Monday, November 18, 2013

We did a king of 'spur-of-the-moment' thing today.  Joel told Chandra that she had to go on a boat ride while she was here.  Well, she's leaving Wednesday, Austin thought we should go today.  So we skipped class- bonus! ;)
Suranjit knew of an island where nobody lives- which I didn't even know existed here! ;) So we rented a speed boat- even getting to the speed boat was quite an experience.  We, along with a bunch of other people, walked across this wooden board walk thing.  It was over this nasty, dirty creek that had pieces of trash floating in it.  Not gonna lie- I was a little nervous!  It was pretty flimsy!  Then 2 boat driver got into an argument about who would take us, and it was boiling hot...haha... such is Bangladesh!  Nothing goes very fast.
There are boats there that look like they were from ancient times- they are so cool.
We drove out along the river and into the ocean.  It was so peaceful. Wind and water and sunshine.
There was nobody but us.  The island had nobody but us on it.  It was SO refreshing.  We swam, and had a Bangali picnic- they package rice and dhal and biryani with fresh vegetables in little plastic bags...it's pretty amusing.  ;)  I decided I would try running a little bit, since there was nobody there to stare or comment.  And I didn't even have to wear an orna!  It was sooo nice.  I really, really miss running. We just had a nice time, chasing crabs and finding sea shells, sitting in the sand and watching fishermen....
We just got home and I'm tired and sandy and muddy and wet and sunburned...
I feel so incredibly peaceful as I sit her drinking some coffee... aaahh shanti. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment