Thursday, August 8, 2013

I've had pretty much... the most bizarre morning ever.  So.  I went running this morning, in a full salwar kameez of course. Long pants, long shirt and a scarf.  Let me tell you- it's hot and it's sticky.  Anyways, on the way back I dropped my iPod right in a puddle.  A nasty muddy puddle with trash in it.  I couldn't even see where it went in it was so thick and cloudy.  I'm digging through the nasty puddle when Austin finally found it.  Thankfully. It seems to be working. :-/  I will die without an iPod.
Then I came home to find there was no water which means no breakfast.  Nothing opens very early here so I had to wait until 8:00 or so and walked to the shop to get eggs and water.  Came home and started cooking breakfast, got out the bananas and there was this stupid banana leaf that wouldn't come of off my hand.  Then I started shaking my hand.  Still wouldn't come off.  Shook it harder and felt the banana leaf like.. gripping my hand.  That's when I realized- this is not a banana leaf.  I screamed like a banchee! Scared everyone in my family to death.  That poor little gecko.  Apparently, when alarmed, geckos will lose their tales.  This guy? yeah.  he definitely lost his tail.  Scared his tail right off... haha
There has been this little boy down the street from us... he sits outside on the street all day, totally alone.  Naked except for an old dirty shirt. He looks like he's maybe 4?  He has two huge lumps on his forehead which look like tumors or something.  He can't talk.  We have seen other kids come up and kick him or stomp on his legs.  Or just torment him.  Sometimes he just starts screaming and crying and we don't know why.  We've all been really concerned about him.  We heard him crying one day and looked out to see some other kids dragging him down the concrete.  Then his mom came around the corner, the other kids ran away and she started beating the little boy with a wooden broom thing all over.  In his face and on his head.  He couldn't even catch his breath.  It was really terrible.  Anyways, we've been giving him food now and then.  Nobody feeds him all day and he just inhales the food we give him.  Dad started asking about him and ended up talking to his mom and arranging that we would watch him from 8-6.  She was supposed to bring him this morning but never showed up. We saw him on the street so Dad went and brought him home.  We bathed him and gave him breakfast and clean clothes.  He just was hanging out with us when his mom showed up and seemed to be upset.  Austin asked her if there was a problem and she said no and took the boy.  A few minutes later she came back with another lady.  We couldn't understand what she was saying but she said something about being a relative.  Dad asked her, "No mercy?  Does God have no mercy?"  So they went home and the boy started to come back to our house.  His mom came after him and her and the relative took him back and started like hiding? in a garage.  I was watching them and they saw me.. and seemed worried.  Anyways, it's all really confusing.  Suranjit said our landlady called him and said the mom had approached her and asked what we were doing, why we wanted to take care of him and apparently thinks there must be some benefit in it for us.  It's insane.  So now he's at the apartment of a man across the street who helped dad in finding information about the boy. I have watched that man's son picking on the little boy with a sick and making him cry.  He came out on the veranda and waved to Jackson and his mom came out and slapped him.  It's just terrible.  I'm not sure what we are going to do yet.  Hopefully Suranjit can help us out.
On a lighter side-  I and lentils for lunch today.  Suddenly I realize the rice smells kinda like well, a cow. haha... We were all out in the living room discussing it and Jackson was spraying oldspice when Emily walks out and says, "Why does it smell like a barn out here?!" The rice tasted just fine though. ;)
Oh and we saw a family of cows hanging out at the beach...it's just been a weird day. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment