Thursday, August 1, 2013

We've been in Bangladesh one week today.  It's feels like a lifetime!
We finally made it to Cox's Bazzar last night.  Finally.  It has been a very long couple of months.
I thought it would be really nice getting here... finally finding a place to rest. finally unpacking all those bags..  But there's still SO much to be done.  And shopping here?  Good grief.  It's ridiculous.  There's a bunch of tiny shops each specializing in a few things.  So it takes forever!  Not to mention you have to walk or get a ride there.  It's definitely gonna take some getting used to.  We were at a shop yesterday and we had a whole crowd gathering around us.  It's amusing at first, but when you're trying to get something done, it's pretty annoying.  People asking for money, people asking where you are from, people just staring, people asking what you're buying... it's just crazy!
Outside of the cities, Bangladesh is so beautiful.  Driving through the farmland is really nice.  I've never seen any place so lush and green, with amazing trees and flowers and vegetables growing... Green is my favorite color. :)  In the cities, it's dirty and dusty and crowded.
Our apartment is very nice.  After seeing Austin's prison... it seems like paradise!!  It's open and airy and clean...  It's on the fourth floor, which was a lot of work hauling everything up.
I woke up early this morning. Everyone else was asleep and so I decided to spend some quiet time... Quiet time has been sadly neglected the last couple months.  I am anxious to get back into some routine again.  After that I got up and made breakfast, things were going well.  I started trying to organize/clean the kitchen.  And... one thing led to another... and after a few extremely annoying things happened my attitude was a disaster. My mom called me into her room and literally said, "Caley, don't kill him..!  It's like we've finally arrived... and suddenly I really, really miss home.  I miss clean.  Everything is so dirty.  Our clothes, the food, the streets... everything.  I want so much to sit down and eat a meal that feels clean and that is anything  but chicken, curry, rice and dhal.  That is ALL they eat! Even the showers feel dirty.  The water feels dirty.  I can't brush my teeth in it, or wash my face...  It's bad.  Picture the dirtiest restaurant  or the dirtiest street you've ever seen in America and it's nothing by comparison.  It's pretty bad.
There are a few things I really want right now.  A washing machine (which they are currently out buying!!), clean clothes, clean towels and fresh food.  I could just squeal about the washing machine...haha... we've had to wear the same clothes for days...!
And there are a few things I'm really thankful for... clean sheets someone sent with us, bleach and soap, fans in every room in our apartment, the ocean right beside me, a cool breeze and the fact that I get to cook my own food tonight in a clean place.
This is all so jumbled up.  There is so much I could say, and so much I could never describe with words! This is definitely an amazing and challenging experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment