Saturday, August 10, 2013

Today we went to a place called Cafe 14.  Oooh... we stepped in, the air conditioning hit us and it felt like.. home. I guess I'm not used to air conditioning anymore because it started burning my nose! haha ..  It was really nice though- just to sit there in the cool, clean room- sipping coffee and eating muffins.  I don't know how long I've been here, but it felt like a breath of fresh air.  30 minutes of home.
We went running again this morning.  I love running, but running here.. oh. it's like death.  It's nice for about 10 minutes and then it's like your body says, Nope. It's too hot.  There a movie in one of the Bourne series where Matt Damon is running down a beach in India.  He looks super cool and tough, cruising down the sandy beach with waves rolling in.  Welll... that's definitely not me. haha
I have been in a pretty regular habit of reading my Bible since I was like.. 12..  but lately- I go to read it and it seems like I've read it a hundred times.  The same things over and over.  I keep waiting for some profound revelation, but it's all the same... I pick it up and cannot think of where I would like to read.  And there's the truth of it. ;)  I find I really need to stop and remind myself to really think and consider the implications of what I'm reading.
 I have been reading  John lately and I was encouraged this morning by chapter 5.  It's the story of the man who was lying there waiting to be healed for 38 years.  Just lying there, waiting for someone to put him in the pool.  What the man knew was this, "In order to be healed- I need to get in that pool at the right time."  But when Jesus came- He had totally different plans.  The same goal, but a totally different way of accomplishing it.  The man basically tells Jesus, "I need someone to put me in the pool."  Jesus response? 'No. That is what you think you need, but what you really need is me.'  And so Jesus heals him.  He didn't help Him get in the pool, which is what the man expected to happen in order to be healed, because Jesus was enough in Himself.  The man had to do nothing.
It just really struck me that so often we say, "Lord, this is what I need..."  And we expect it to be accomplished in a certain, expected way.  "Lord this is what I need, and this is how I expect you to accomplish it."  We fail to realize that Jesus will accomplish His purposes, but, more often than not, it is going to be in a different, totally unexpected way.
I know this verse is quoted all the time, but think about it, "...Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that  we ask or think..." (Ephesians 3:20)
And with that I think I shall go to bed. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment