Sunday, August 11, 2013

We had been warned when we first got here that "this is a man's world" and that sometimes shopkeepers and men will totally ignore you and not help you.  This doesn't seem like a society that really puts women first...  We haven't really experienced. Until day.
My mom and I went to a shop we've been to quite a few times, and they usually give us good service.  Not with us.  I'm thinking usually one of the guys must have been with us before.  We stood there for like 15 minutes. They weren't even very busy.  They would stand there and chat with people.  Taking their sweet time about everything.  They wouldn't help us.  Mom said we should just leave, but I didn't want to be rude so we waited longer... they served like 10 other people who had come in after us... we still waited...  Finally, we just decide we are going to leave and go next door.  The shopkeeper calls out, "Sister!  Sister!"  So I turn around.  And I kind of lost my temper.  Which I never do like that.  Seriously- I don't think I've ever complained or said anything to anyone in a situation like that! haha... But tonight I turned around, totally annoyed, and said to him (in my best Benagli accent, cause I can't speak Bangla..haha) "We have been waiting and waiting over there (emphatically pointing over there), We have been waiting for someone to help us (pointing back and forth). Nobody will help us! (points up to the shelf).  We will stay if you are going to help us!"  He gives an annoying smile and nods.. so we went back in, they helped us get a few things, handed us the bill. And walked away again. It was way too much money.  So we waited again. While they ignored us.  Finally mom called the guy over, he helped us correct the bill.  I walk over to pay while they slowly bag up the stuff and I stand there for like 5 minutes with the money. The man starts saying something to me in Bangla with this annoying smile on his face.. his expression basically said, "Oh. It's not a big deal.  I'm sure you understand."  I don't have any idea what he was saying, but I was definitely not smiling back at him. "Ami buji na" I said.  (I don't understand.)  Ami buji na? He asks and then chuckles. Oooohh.. I was so mad at him.  Then the guy counts and recounts and counts again the bill.  Finally figures he's calculated it right.  Oh my gosh.  Mom and I were so angry!!  She's like, "I can't believe you actually said something!"  I think she was pretty shocked.  Anyways..  I am going to work on some choice Bangla phrases for the next time I need to tell someone how rude they are. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment