Wednesday, August 7, 2013

So- we haven't been eating much meat lately, and, let me tell you, if you saw the pathetic meat over here you'd understand why!  And, if you know me very well, you would know I kinda have an aversion to eggs.  There were actually a few years I couldn't even bring myself to eat them.  I eat them now... but I'm still pretty picky about them. And I have definitely been avoiding them here.  Eggs? In a dirty third world country?  Nope.  The other morning my mom said to me, "Caley, you aren't getting any protein at all in your diet. You really should eat some eggs or something..."  So.  I blame this on her. ;)  We went to the beach the other night and, unless you're in the water, there's someone pestering you.  Selling you stuff, standing a foot away and staring at you, talking to you... always somebody, or a whole crowd for that matter!  You don't wanna be still for too long...haha  So, I was sitting in a chair minding my own business when this little girl and 2 little boys come up to me.  The little girl is carrying a dirty, old, empty paint can.  She opens it up and hands me an egg wrapped in a little piece of newspaper.  I shook me head, "Na."  She insists I take it.  Her and the boys started making motions for me to eat it.  I'm thinking an egg, on a dirty sandy beach, from a dirty child's hands, pulled out of a dirty paint can that has been sitting in the sun for who knows how long.... No. not gonna happen...  "Na, I don't want it.  Na, I'm not hungry.  Na. Na. Na......"  But they would not listen!  Then I started thinking maybe she was trying to give me the egg as she hadn't mentioned a price.  So.. I figured I had better eat the egg..  Finally the boy cracks it open, and hands it to me so I can peel it. So I peeled it.  Then he took the egg from me and pulled out a piece of what appeared to be an old string or fishing line and cut the egg in half.  I immediately noticed the  ring of gray around the yolk... :-/  Then he pulled out a can of seasoning salt they had in the dirty paint can, salted the egg, put it on another piece of newspaper (no telling where that came from) and handed it to me.  Aaaand, there was no getting out of it.  They sat back so they could watch me eat it.  And I did.  And it actually wasn't that bad.  Oh, and then to top it off, a few minutes later she springs the whole "20 taka" on me.  So I basically paid to be forced to an old boiled egg that I didn't want.. haha  My mom couldn't believe I ate it...  pretty sure she's still laughing at me... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment