Friday, July 26, 2013

Okay. Today I figured out that it is better to eat Bengali food that tastes like it should than to eat American food that it tastes like it shouldn't. The taco at "Taco Bell" was pretty bad. The "American" burger was close, but about halfway through it started tasting weird so I gave it to Jackson..haha...
We went shopping at the biggest mall I've ever seen. It was so crowded! Everyone staring and smiling. Let me tell ya- some of the guys stare at you with the most awed adoring looks. Lol... It's like their wildest fantasy just walked into their world! It's crazy! And super awkward actually... It's totally not special because its everybody.  One guy saw Hannah and said "Oh Wow!!!" Pretty funny. Parents make their children wave at you. Women smile and wave... Oh. Today I saw a white guy! He looked a little surprised to see us- Jackson and I sarted waving like we were great friends...haha... It's funny the sudden connection you feel with white people when you're the only ones youve seen in awhile!
We were crowded into an elevator today. I had my hand on the rail. A little boy slowly reached over, started rubbing my fingernails and then just put his hand in mine. It was so cute..
A little beggar girl grabbed isaacs face and kissed him. She kissed Jackson's arm and blew him kisses... She kept asking for money but I didn't have any. She kept following us around so I finally asked her her name. She told me, but I have no idea what she said! She asked my name and so I told her. Then I grabbed her filthy little hand and walked with her a little ways. She pulled me out of the way of a van coming down the road. I wish so much I could speak the language and talk to those children. I cannot understand why they are living like this. I saw a girl not more than 2 years old out with her sister begging on a dangerous road.  I think of my nieces all clean and beautiful and loved and precious... These kids- they don't even seem to know that their lives are messed up. It's the norm. I think of their mothers. These are somebody's children. I wonder if they have mothers who just don't care, or ones who just can't provide for them, or no mother at all.  It's heartbreaking to see. What must that be like? Not being able to take care of your children? I want to ask them why their lives are like this. I want to hear their story. Right now all I can do is briefly hold a girl's hand and tell her my name. 
Tomorrow we leave for Chittagong. No more wifi. Which is really, really lame.  We will have Internet on a computer so not all is lost. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment