Thursday, July 25, 2013

Wow.  There is a lot I could say...and I probably will. ;)  Let me just say.  Now that I am here and I know what it's like to travel to the other side of the world...  I would never have waned to miss this.  There are definitely people I miss as I walk around this crazy place... people I wish I could share all of this with, and that's sad.  But, I am really glad to be here and to be experiencing this.
The flight went surprisingly well. Not too bad.  The Chinese food was weird... but, other than that?  It went very smoothly.
The airport in China was pretty lame and disappointing actually. We spent 3 hours there, making failed attempts at connecting to the stupid wifi!  urgh.  So annoying!
Flying into Dhaka was crazy!  I've definitely never ever seen anything like it.  We got off of the plane, and, while there were a few curious stares and questions, it wasn't at all the culture shock I had expected.  We got all our luggage and everything on a bus and to our hotel without too much trouble.  Just going for a brief ride was craaaazy.
We had our first meal here in Bangladesh.  It was pretty tasty!  And, so far, no one has died. ;)
After lunch we went out to walk around the city.  Crossing the street is definitely an experience!
There are definitely a few things I dislike already.  I don't like being treated like your something special because you're american.  The Bengalis won't let us carry our bags, dip our rice or unload our grocery cart!  It's actually not a nice feeling to be treated like that simply because they think you're rich...  Very uncomfortable.
The other thing is the beggars.  I had a kid begging me for money as we drove down the road!  It was so dangerous! But he was relentless.  It's a horrible feeling to see a child beg for money, or a woman missing an arm while you walk by ignoring them and eating your ice cream.  I saw the most filthy child I have ever seen today.  He kept pestering Dad for money and when he finally gave up he turned to me. "Taka?"  he said. I relplied, "Na.  Na. No Taka.."  He, for once, seemed to believe me, shrugged his shoulders pointed to my camera and said, "Chobi?".  So I took his picture.  Its a terrible feeling to walk by, and feel powerless to truly make a difference.
People seem pretty impressed with us here.  "You American??"  they ask.  They stare with curiosity.  One girl's stare I can only describe as... awed... haha!  The boys will flash you their most charming smiles.  At one point I heard a voice calling through the trees, "Hello!  Hello!"  I finally realized the voice was talking to me, I looked over to see a guy with a huge grin on his face... haha... It's bizarre!
I made my first purchase today too... a Salwar Kameez that doesn't really fit and has see through pants.  Fail.  Oh-and I also had my chest measured by a man today.  That was .... different... faw shaw! haha
It's been a crazy day.  I am so tired... I want to curl up and go to sleep....:-/

No comments:

Post a Comment